First Federal Community Bank
First Federal Community Bank of Bucyrus was chartered in 1888 as Bucyrus Loan & Building Company. Business was initially conducted from the law offices of D.W. Locke, located in the current Huntington National Bank building on the square in downtown Bucyrus. Bucyrus Loan & Building Co. soon moved to the rear of the First National Bank building, located in the 100 block of West Rensselaer Street. That office was only open one hour per week, with weekly board meetings held shortly after closing.
The name Bucyrus Loan & Building Co. was changed to First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Bucyrus in 1937. The office then moved to 121 South Sandusky Avenue, which was part of the building where we currently reside. The managing officer at this time was S.E. Auck.
In 1953, our current location at 119 South Sandusky Avenue was completely remodeled. The managing officer at this time was D.K. Auck. In 1977, with John Kennedy serving as the managing officer, we established our first branch office in Bucyrus at the point of South Sandusky Avenue and Marion Road. Our second branch office was established outside of Bucyrus in the community of New Washington, Ohio in 1980. In 2003, we opened our third branch office, located at the point of Stetzer Road and East Mansfield Street in Bucyrus.
In 1995, we formed a holding company called Community Investors Bancorp, Inc. (CIBN) which serves as the parent company of First Federal Savings & Loan Association. In January 2001, we changed our name to First Federal Community Bank of Bucyrus to better reflect the full array of services we now offer to our customers.
The retirement of John Kennedy led to the promotion of Phillip Gerber as the President and CEO of First Federal, a position he held until retiring at year end 2016. During his tenure, the bank saw growth into Union County, with a branch office opened in 2007. Under the name, Marysville’s First Federal Community Bank, they offer all the great financial products and services that our Bucyrus branch offers. In addition to the branch growth, there was a creation of a Secondary Market mortgage lending operation in 2009, with loan production offices in Strongsville, Grove City, Washington Court House, Bellefontaine and Upper Arlington, Ohio, as well as Sarasota, Florida.
Bradley Murtiff was promoted in January, 2017 to fill the retirement of Phil Gerber as President and CEO. His commitment to making good things happen for the communities we serve, our shareholders, customers and employees will ensure that First Federal remains a strong, independent bank for a long time to come.
Our thrift charter still reflects our status as a savings and loan. Our current assets are in excess of $140 million.