Firelands Federal Credit Union
Firelands Federal Credit Union had its humble beginnings at the railroad in 1955, when seven Nickel Plate employees joined together to form a financial savings club. Each of them put in $5-$10 and they applied for a charter from the federal government. Chartered in 1957, Firelands Federal Credit Union presently serves over 35,000 members. During its first 15 years, the credit union was open only to railroad employees, but in 1970, opened its membership to include anyone who lives or works in the community.
Because the members own the credit union, the earnings on the credit union's business activities are returned to the member-owner in the form of higher earnings on savings, lower rates on loans, and a wide range of related financial services at the lowest possible cost.